History

1884-1970

First Reformed Church of Maurice was organized October 23, 1884. The first church building was built at the cost of $1,800. This was enlarged and renovated, according to the needs, throughout the next 85 years. During this time the congregation was served by 11 different ministers.

Summer 1970

The present parsonage was built at a cost of $37,603.

June 1971

Rev. Gary Van Koevering and family moved into the new parsonage.

August 1977

Rev. E.R. Voogd became the pastor of First Reformed. Various Northwestern pre-seminary students joined the staff as youth directors.

February 1979

Questions were arising about the need of more seating capacity - remodel or build new? The congregation approved by 51% to build a new facility. In April the congregation approved, by a 73% majority, a general design drafted by De Stigter Bros. of Sioux Center.

June 1980

The Family of First Reformed assumed ownership of the Maurice school site for the price of $50,000.

June 1981

Following a service, the congregation walked across the road to witness the ground breaking ceremonies.

June 1982

Rev. Ed Fikse began as pastor of First Reformed.

November 1982

The new facility was completed at a cost of $988,725. The congregation walked from the old church to the new, stopping for the laying of the cornerstone. A dedication service was held in the new sanctuary.

Spring 1983

Auction sales were held for selling church fixtures and the dismantling of the old church building began.

October 1984

A week of celebration was held for First Reformed's 100th birthday.

September 1987

Rev. Ken Westrate became the pastor.

December 1987

Special Mortgage Burning - Communion Service was held.

July 1991

Rev. Tim Vink was installed as Minister of Congregational Life and Discipleship.

September 1993

Rev. Wayne Sneller became pastor of First Reformed.

July 1997

Rev. Steve McNary came as Associate Pastor of Maurice Reformed Church.

August 1999

Rev. Mark Haverdink became the Associate Pastor of Maurice Reformed.

October1999

Darwin Van Horn becomes the first full-time youth director at Maurice Reformed.

June 2001

A ground breaking ceremony was held. The children and youth of the church led the congregation marking the beginning of the construction of the Family Life Center.

May 2002

The Family Life Center was completed at a cost of $1, 442, 000.00. The congregation held a dedication service in the new Family Life Center.